Dan Hon is an expert on technology and its role in society. Most recently, he has been doing groundbreaking work transforming government and digital services, the subject of a Harvard Kennedy School case study.
He is a keynote speaker on government digital services and the role of technology in society, and you can find his writing in the MIT Technology Review and Wired Magazine.
His tweets at @hondanhon and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated May 13, 2020
- Co-Chair of the Code for America Summit, bringing together civic technologists, public employees and technology companies to make government work in a digital age (2020, 2019, 2018)
- Led the creation of the State of California’s first digital service, the Child Welfare Digital Service, the subject of a Harvard Kennedy School case study
- Keynote speaker, published writer on technology, design, government and ethics (MIT Technology Review, Wired, Web Directions)
- Creative Director at Wieden + Kennedy for Nike, Facebook and Coca-Cola.
- Co-founded Six to Start, a digital game design and storytelling company, winning Best Experimental and Best of Show (2009) and Best Game (2010) awards at SXSW.
- BA Law (Cambridge University), MSc. Software Engineering (University of Liverpool)
Digital Transformation Consultant, Product Strategist, State of California (2016 - current)
Worked directly with the Secretary, California Health and Human Services Agency; Secretary, Government Operations Agency; state Chief Information Officer and director of the California Department of Technology; Director, California Department for Social Services; Director, Office for Systems Integration.
Strategic direction: advised oversight and project management offices on the procurement, development and deployment of large-scale technology systems and legacy system modernization and replacement projects, application of product and service strategy.
Product strategy and digital services: worked with state agencies and departments to enable iterative delivery of digital service products that meet user needs.
Harvard Kennedy School cases:
Editorial Director, Code for America
Worked directly with the Executive Director developing organization policy and strategy.
Produced RFP review of Child Welfare legacy system modernization and replacement.
Creative Director, Wieden+Kennedy Portland
Co-Creative Director for Facebook’s first global brand campaign. Worked closely with Facebook leadership to understand the client environment and develop briefs addressing brand sentiment. Directed traditional and interactive creative answers to client briefs.
Creative Director on Nike, Sony, Coca-Cola and Kraft accounts.
- Wristwatch heart monitors might save your life—and change medicine, too; in print as Your Heart On Your Sleeve. MIT Technology Review, March/April 2019. Topics: emerging technology, healthcare, ethics, quantified self.
- No one’s coming, it’s up to us, January 2017, based on O’Reilly Foo Camp talk. Topics: technology and society.
- Google Can Buy Nest, But It Can’t Buy Our Trust, Wired.com, January 2014. Topics: ethics, technology.
- Fitness by design, Domus, November 2011. Topics: emerging technology, healthcare, ethics, quantified self.
Selected speaking engagements
Government digital services
Games and play
- Picnic (The Games People Play, 2009; Everything You Know About Transmedia Is Wrong, 2010)
- SXSW Interactive (2013, 2009, 2008, 2007)
- SXSW Interactive Best Game (2010)
- SXSW Interactive Best of Show (2009)
- SXSW Interactive Best Experimental (2009)
- Wired UK Wired 100 (2010)
- The Webby Awards: Peoples’ Voice, Corporate Social Responsibility, Best Use of Online Media (2012)
Professional memberships and affiliations
References on request
- Marybel Batjer, President, California Public Utilities Commission; Secretary, Government Operations Agency, State of California
- Mike Bracken, Partner, public.digital; former Executive Director, U.K. Government Digital Service
- Tom Loosemore, public.digital, former Deputy Director, U.K. Government Digital Service
- Jennifer Pahlka, Founder, Code for America
- Michael Wilkening, Special Advisor on Innovation and Digital Services in the Office of the Governor, State of California
Selected talk slides
- Computer, Stop: Why Star Trek only goes so far and we need to try harder than science fiction at IXDA Interaction 20, 29.9MB PDF